Saturday, December 09, 2006

We almost lost Remy last night. :(

I was at Norris' new owner's house doing the hand off last night, and Brent was at home getting ready to go back to work. Bella and Remy were playing in the kitchen, and Bella got her bottom jaw stuck in Remy's collar. Brent thought they were fighting and threw a baby gate at them and tried to separate them, but quickly realized what was going on. Remy was literally 2 seconds away from being choked to death. Brent said he thought he was watching our dog die when he couldn't get the collar off (he was using a knife to try to cut it off.) Remy deficated and vomited all over the kitchen, but at the last second, his collar popped off. Brent called me and was so completely in shock that he was screaming and trembling, and I couldn't understand a word he was saying. He took Remy to the emergency vet, and I met them over there. Remy has bite wounds on his neck from Bella's struggle to get free of him, and Brent had a few knife cuts on his hands that he had to go to the hospital to get checked out, but everything is okay here now.

I've never seen my husband crying and trembling so much in the three years we've been together. He said he will never forget the look on Remy's face as he was at the edge of death. Part of me is really glad that I wasn't home to see that. I knew Brent loved our dogs, but I discovered his devotion to them last night.

No comments: